Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Audio Books

This time of the year is really busy for me. To save time, I have been listening to books instead of reading them. That's right - audio books. My public library has a great selection of audio books that I have been thoroughly enjoying.

There are many places to listen to audio books. Besides listening to books on my long commute, I also listen to audio books while cleaning my house. I plan to listen to an audio book while decorating this weekend. Have you ever considered listening to books while you cook? I love listening to audio books while baking cookies. I also listen to audio books while working on craft projects.

Besides books on CD and cassette, public libraries have been investing in both downloadable audio books for your computer and MP3 player and Playaway digital audio books - audio books that do not require an external device to play them.

So, this fall, try something different - audio books!

Here are a few titles I've loved listening to:


The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
(Abridged read by Joanne Whalley, Dennis Boutsikaris, Rosalyn Landor, Robin Atkin Downes, and Jim Ward)

This gripping modern interpretation of the Dracula legend tells the story of a scholar who mysteriously disappears while researching the history of Vlad Dracula. The story goes back and forth between the scholar's search for Dracula and his friends and family's search for him. The audio performance of this book by six talented voice actors truly brings this story to life.


Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
(Abridged read by Richard Thomas)

If you haven't read Cold Sassy Tree, I highly recommend it. This book, set during the early 1900's in a small Georgian town, is told from the perspective of 14-year-old Will Tweedy. The story revolves around Will's grandpa who takes a new young wife weeks after his previous wife dies, the town's disconcerted reaction to this unexpected and controversial marriage, and Will's own life growing up in a town on the cusp of change. This story both touched me and made me laugh out loud. Having the man who played John Boy on the Waltons tell the tale for the audio version of this book is just icing on the cake.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
(Unabridged read by Neil Gaiman)


The description of this book can be found in my last post. The author is the reader in this audio book, and the characters come alive through his evocative telling of this imaginative tale. Even if you've read this book, I still recommend listening to this engrossing version.


Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
(Unabridged read by George Guidall)

This book tells the story of life for Japanese Americans before, during, and after World War II on a small island in Puget Sound. A Japanese American fisherman is accused of murder, and the story of his life is intertwined with the trial of his case. The audio performance is well done, and I appreciated not having to guess the pronunciation of certain Japanese words in the story. A truly touching tale.

2 comments:

Kevin Purtell said...

Librovox is a good place to find audiobooks.

Gretchen Schneider said...

I just checked out http://librivox.org/. It looks interesting. I will check it out. I'm curious to see how good the voice acting is.