Monday, June 9, 2008

Book Hoarding vs. Interlibrary Loan

I admit, I hoard books that I like. But there comes a time when you run out of room in your home, no matter how creative you get, and you need to weed your collection. I am reaching saturation point in my home collection very soon. So how do I decide what to weed?

Some people would tell me to weed the stuff I don't like. But I'm usually good at not buying books that I don't like. Interlibrary loan has saved me from buying untested authors. The few bad books I do purchase usually go for credit at used bookstores for yet more books (the number of books is smaller coming back, but that is good at this point). But what to do when you have too much of stuff you really like?

Well, I'm planning on looking at my collection and weeding out the stuff I like instead of love. Before I weed it, I will check for availability in WorldCat. If there are over a thousand libraries that own the book (and the book is more than 5 years old), then I will assume that I will be able to get it in the next 10-15 years by interlibrary loan with no trouble. After that, I'm assuming my tastes will have changed.

Wish me luck. Until I weed, I am going to *sob* avoid book sales, and desperately try to curtail my book buying habit. I'm also going to look into ebooks from mainstream publishers when I can't wait for brand new books.

Knowing my excessively meticulous nature (a kinder phrase that doesn't confuse our ESL students into believing that I am over-sharing about bodily functions), I should start my weeding project fairly soon. If you have any other weeding suggestions that doesn't involve my books moving to your own personal library, I'd love to read them. :-)

Book of the day:
The Darkest Fire (pre-quel to Lords of the Underworld)
by Gena Showalter
e-book
(I actually read very little this weekend - my computer addiction got in the way).

10 comments:

Rich said...

Do you plan on selling some of your books? I've been meaning to sell most of my college and grad school books, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm thinking Amazon looks easier than eBay (at least for books). I'd be interested in hearing about your book selling if you do go that route.

Gretchen Schneider said...

Well, I used to trade them for credit at Second Editions, but it closed. Half Priced Books at Village Crossing (I've heard they have other locations) buy used books, but I don't know how much they give. My husband and I only use Ebay for rare books so we can run up the price. This was really effective with old and limited edition roleplaying books. Places I frequent to buy used books are half.com (run by ebay) and abebooks. com. If the book had a decent value, I would probably try selling through one of them.

Anonymous said...

When you start weeding you need to honestly read this book last, and ask yourself if you are going to read it again within the next two to five years.

I just helped my friend weed her clothes out. For clothes the rule is if you haven't worn it in a year (with the exception of dressy clothes)it should probably go. Since books are hard to keep up - maybe a good rule is that if you haven't read it in five years it should go.

Just a few suggestions.

Gretchen Schneider said...

Great suggestion. I would have to extend that to 10 years, I think. My memory is better when it comes to books. I'll be sitting there, something will remind me of a cool part in a book, and then I will have to read it again. It happened once with a book that I probably hadn't read in about 8 years last time. Sigh. Oh, and series I am still reading must be kept. Sometimes, you just get the sudden urge to read a series again just to see the full development of the main character with knowledge of what they've become fresh in the mind. I've sort of started that again with Dresden (Jim Butcher). That series just keeps getting better.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the series part. I have to read a series beginning to end, and I reread a lot of books...so to get rid of a part of a series I intended on reading again is not cool.

Ok I suppose ten years works. But then you have to get rid of books you honestly won't read again...or don't absolutely love. I've seen your bookshelves...and you've mentioned how packed your garage is to me.

If you'd like some help with the book weeding I'd be happy to help you sometime.

Gretchen Schneider said...

Your sweet. I think I'll start with the garage, move to the closet, and then tackle the shelves. That way I have room to shift stuff I want to keep but may not need on the shelf. If I need help, I'll holler. But, I will probably do it one small step at a time (or one small box at a time). :-) Maybe, once I'm done, I'll ask for help with alphabetizing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gretchen Schneider said...

Blogger Karen said...

Alphabetizing is a b**ch. Which is why I don't do it in my collection. I shelve my books by genre and most often author, then series. I own a lot of series...which isn't unusual since I'm a chronic reader of fantasy (and recently urban fantasy).

However, if you want help with the actual weeding my offer still stands. :)

Gretchen Schneider said...

Sorry Karen, I edited your comment so the expletive was censored. I believe the terms and conditions forbid swear words. Yes, I actually read them...

Totally understand about the alphabetizing. That's why I was searching for help. :-)

I'll let you know if I have a group weeding project planned. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, whoops. Don't be sorry that would be my bad. I usually try not to swear...

Well whatever help you need, I'll try to offer what help I can. :)