Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Word Nerd

As David Cook from American Idol, I am a self-confessed word nerd.

It kind of makes sense. Reading builds vocabulary, and there is nothing I do more than reading. Well, maybe talking...

I've actually been told by some that I shouldn't use so many big words. They think I do it to make myself look better. Well, that just isn't the case. Big vocabulary words just fit what you are saying better and usually take up a lot less space and time.

So, I have a rule with all of my student employees. If I use a word they don't know, they can ask me what it means. I will not only tell them what I think it means, but I will also look up the official definition to make sure I am right.

At first, I checked the official definition to make sure I was explaining it right, but I have since found that it is also to make sure I am using it right. :-)

See, most readers build vocabulary by looking at the word in the context of a sentence or paragraph and figuring out what the word means by what the author is trying to say. You eventually get pretty good at this, too. But mistakes are bound to happen.

In the last few years of clarifying word meaning to my friends and co-workers, I have found the following interesting mistakes on my part:

1.Vixen (in relation to a woman):
Gretchen says: a woman who is a sly temptress.
Dictionary definition: a shrewish, ill-tempered or quarrelsome woman, a shrew, a termagant.

Now, I don't think I am the only one to mess that one up. Foxes (a female fox is a vixen) have been know to be sly in many fairy tales. I believe that this word has evolved in pop culture. It happens sometimes. Hopefully I am right, and the dictionaries will add my definition.

2. Divot (as a noun):
Gretchen says: golf term, describing the hole a wedge makes in the ground when you miss.
Dictionary definition: Golf. A piece of turf cut out with a club by a player in making a stroke.

Oops. Which came first? The hole or the dirt thrown out...
I'm definitely not an avid golfer. Now it shows.

So, I highly recommend looking up words besides figuring them out in context. The library is great for this, as we have multiple dictionaries on the shelves and online.

Now my favorite is the OED (Oxford English Dictionary). It not only gives you the definition of the word as it is currently used, but how the word was used in the past as well. This can be highly amusing at times.

I even like word games. I've added a few word games I like on the sidebar.

1. The Book Worm Adventures game is a scramble word game where the book worm defends the library from invaders with words as weapons. For some reason, this game doesn't work in Firefox. Sorry. Try Explorer instead. I've almost beat Master level multiple times. Darn those Norse gods....

2. Free Rice builds your vocabulary as you help donate rice to the UN World Food Program. Warning: it is highly addictive.

So, if I use a word you don't know in this blog, please ask me what it means or look it up. Don't be intimidated; be curious instead. I even provided dictionary links on the side bar. I'm not trying to be snooty. I'm just your average book worm word nerd.


Book of the day (almost done):
Poltergeist: a Greywalker Novel by Kat Richardson.
Borrowed from: Warren-Newport Public Library in Gurnee, IL

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay. I <3 the fact you put dictionaries in your sidebar and free rice is a nifty game. Learn new words AND help feed the hungry. What could be better?

Gretchen Schneider said...

Thanks! I hope they help. My friend Gail got me hooked on the rice site. They definitely had a good idea to make a game out of the donation process. It caught my interest.

Anonymous said...

I agree. And in a way helping yourself helps others. Nifty conception - devious if you consider the possibilities.

Gretchen Schneider said...

Hmmm... Should I have the sudden urge to buy a copy of "Catcher in the Rye"? :-)

Anonymous said...

Re: vixen
Your definition shows how much romance fiction you read; it's often used ironically in that context (or any time in fiction where a male character takes a verbal jab at a female character in a semi-romantic or jilted-romatic context), either as a playful insult, or as the real thing. It's also used as a synonym for "crafty b*tch" (playing off of the folkloric intelligence of foxes), and that sense also plays into its usage in romantic (and anti-romantic) situations.

Re: Divot
A very common warning sign on golf courses is, "Please replace your divots," which supports the dictionary definition. But I've heard many non-golfers (including myself) use it to refer to the holes left behind, probably due to not fully understanding the nature of this strange activity called "golf".

Gretchen Schneider said...

Ah! That explains where my misunderstanding of vixen came from. You're so smart Joel! :-)

Anonymous said...

No you shouldn't have a strange urge to buy a copy of catcher in the rye. If you don't like the book you shouldn't by a copy. If you want to try and re-read it there is always ILL. I've heard you tell me several times you don't like whining anti-heroes...and Holden is the epitome of that type of character. Or you could always borrow my copy.

Although if you want to read some other interesting coming of age fiction - there is a recent book by Stephen Chobsky called Perks of Being a Wallflower (Oakton just got a copy recently...and I had to stamp the urge to borrow, despite the fact that I own my own well-read copy. I think it was the urge the break the copy in...). The main character of that book is interesting because he does stuff or he tries to do stuff. He is not the stereotypical anti-hero.

And once again, I know you're a compulsive book buyer Gretcehn, but you don't like Catcher in the Rye. What is the point of buying a book you don't like? If you don't like it, it's not going to be read. Why leave a poor book to gather dust on your shelf?

Gretchen Schneider said...

Sorry Karen!
I was making a bad movie reference to the movie Conspiracy Theory. The main character has a conspiracy theory for everything, and had sudden urges to buy copies of Catcher. It was my silly attempt at humor.

I may check out the other book, though. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh. oops...well **looks side to side** I know how you are about buying books. **blushes** I never do seem to get pop culture references. Oh well. Perks of Being a Wallflower is super nifty. It's my favorite in the "coming of age," genre