Monday, June 23, 2008

Flickr

Well, I spent part of my day today uploading, tagging, etc. photos on Flickr. This is my first photo account online, and I can see how it can become addictive. Flickr seemed very easy to use. I uploaded my favorite pictures of my cats and my Chicago Botanical Garden visit. I quickly reached my maximum upload for the month (I usually use the highest resolution when I take pictures). I know I could get unlimited uploads with a paid subscription, but I am going to resist for now.

I can see some of the personal benefits I can derive from Flickr. First, it is an extra place to store photos so that you don't lose them from either natural causes or computer failure. Second, it is a great way to share pictures with friends. I like the fact that you can request an rss feed of an account on Flickr that you like.

On a professional note, I can see Flickr coming in handy.
  • Since Oakton has two campuses, we could post pictures to share between libraries of physical changes made in the library or innovative ideas to share.
  • Scanning forms and other objects could be used with the libraries website to instruct the public.
  • We have had many events and open houses at the library, and I can see the benefit of posting them online to share. It would be a great way of promoting the library. My only worry is in posting pictures from previous events. People knew we took their picture, but we never declared we would post them online for the world to see. Could we still post them?
  • This article Richard gave us for our Library 2.Oakton project lists many other uses of Flickr that libraries have employed.

The only trouble I had was making a slideshow I liked for my blog. I started with the slideshow feature of blogger (which is currently displayed on the sidebar), but I was disappointed that it didn't show all the pictures in my photostream. One article I read recommended slideflickr.com. I checked it out, and tried making a slideshow this way. I liked the idea of creating a slideshow of specific sets I had created. After filling out the form, the preview looked great. But when I used the slideflickr html for a widget on my sidebar, the pictures got cut. I played with the html measurements, but it still seemed a little off. *shrug* I'll ask Richard to take a look at it on Wednesday.

All in all, I'm a big fan of flickr. I just need to be careful of my upload limit next month. :-)

3 comments:

Rich said...

there are a number of different slideshow options, but the easiest for the sidebar is probably the standard flickr badge (scroll down to the bottom of the page and make sure you're logged into your account).

Gretchen Schneider said...

I tried both flickr badges.

I liked the flash badge, but it is very small and is left justified. If I could center it, I would like it better.

I'm using the HTML badge for now, because it fills the bar a little better. The image changes each time you load the page.

I'm still not quite happy with the HTML badge, though. The larger view right justifies and crops the edge off the picture. If I use a smaller size, it's just too small and left justified. If I want to use more than 1 item, it only lets me choose 3, which doesn't fit.

I think I need to learn HTML. I'm just too picky.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of your kitties. They're sooo cute. :)