Wednesday, June 11, 2008

For a Good Read

I've been told I am good at recommending books for people. Part of it comes from my working in bookstores and libraries for the last 17 years, and part of it comes from my memory with books. I guess I'm good at asking leading questions to find out people's tastes, too.

Earlier this year, I did a 5 minute radio show with Bob Burton on the Radio show "Impact" which airs Sunday mornings on WTMX-FM 101.9. I talked about books I would recommend based on the types of movies people like (a common technique I use with new readers). Bob told me that they recently re-aired the show. He and I are also talking about doing another show about starting a book club. If he is still interested, I may do one around Halloween about paranormal themed books.

If you are interested in hearing the original broadcast, I put the link on the top right of my blog. I also couldn't resist putting another picture up that I took. It breaks up the space in the right column to make it more visually appealing. Plus, my cats are cute. :-)

Book of the Day:
Title: World War Z: an Oral History of the Zombie War
Author: Max Brooks
from Gretchen's Library

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is the Khaled Hosseini book?

The interview sounds great. You sound so perky. Wasn't this aired at like 6:00 am? I don't understand where you get all your energy from.

Rich said...

Great interview! You have a good voice for radio. You should start your own podcast and make it available on this blog. One of my favorite podcasts is basically a couple of funny people sitting around talking about movies.

Do you get a lot of readers advisory opportunities at the library? I always thought of RS as something that happens more at public libraries, but it's good to know that it happens at academic libraries too.

Gretchen Schneider said...

Thank you both for your compliments!

Karen: the book is good so far. Haven't got too far because of my book ADD.
It airs around 8 am, but we recorded it beforehand (in 1 take, so it might as well have been live) on a different day.

Rich: Thanks for the idea. I may try it. Don't know what software I have for recording, though.
You'd be surprised how often I do recommend fun reading. Some students use reading for a break from studies. Lots of the faculty and staff use the library for relaxation reading, too. Some of our English students also look for advise. They need to read a specific genre of a certain length, and they want recommendations on what would be fun to read.

Anonymous said...

Welcome. ;)

I know you mentioned you couldn't get into the Kite Runner, which was written by the same man. That's part of why I was wondering. I don't read much literary fiction either, and I'm usually kind of picky about what I do read. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

Hmm, hopefully your book ADD will be better soon. I've still been in a semi-funk. I've been reading, but just not as much or as fast. Which is unfortunate because I had wanted to read a lot this summer. :\